Image Map

Wednesday, January 20, 2016




                                  





It's Work It Wednesday!! Time to get moving!

I wanted to share about my experience with working out and pregnancy.  I had my little peanut in September, and thankfully was able to work out up until the day I gave birth.  Working out during my pregnancy not only helped me to physically feel good, but also mentally.  Some days it was tough to feel motivated to get up and start moving, but once I did, I felt so much better.  If there was a day that I missed working out, I felt more exhausted, sluggish, and just overall not awesome. 

Working out while being pregnant can be tricky as you have to make sure that you are being safe, as the baby is always top priority.  I learned that there are so many health benefits to working out while being pregnant for both mom and baby, that I knew that I had to make it a priority!   Something that was tough for me, was the mental shift from working towards PRs (Personal Records), and working until I dropped to the floor, to staying focused on steady breathing, and capping my weight off at 135 pounds.  I had to constantly remind myself that it wasn't about me anymore, and I was doing this for not only my health, but more importantly, for the health of my baby girl.

Once I found out I was pregnant, I sat down a wrote myself a pregnancy program that was basically the same workouts I was doing prior to being pregnant, just modified. Below is a workout I did while pregnant, and that you can also do not pregnant!  Remember though, if something ever doesn't feel right, make sure to stop!  Its not worth it! And always consult with your doctor as well!

1-10-1 ladder
Goblet Squat
KB deadlift
Push-ups

Ladders are an awesome workout scheme, that always trick me!  I go into them thinking they won't be too bad, but boy do things get hairy real fast! Here's how it works:  You start with each exercise doing 1 rep, after you do all three movements, then do 2 reps, then 3, and so on, until you get to 10 reps of each exercise.  Then, you go back down the ladder until you are back to 1.

While pregnant, I never let my heart rate get about 70% max HR, meaning if I couldn't have a conversation during the workout, then I was going to hard. 

If not pregnant, go hard!!!  Start a timer and see how quickly you can complete the workout!


Here's a video of how to do a kettlebell deadlift!



1 comment:

  1. This is really very interesting. Most women are resistant to do such activities in pregnancy but you did and indeed is very good for health.

    ReplyDelete